VOLUNTEER WITH US
Who are we?
The Illawarra Legal Centre (ILC) is an independent, not-for-profit, community based legal centre. We provide free legal services for people who need support to access their legal rights.
Community Legal Centres have historically been built on the work of dedicated volunteers who are a fundamental part of the services that centres provide to the community and ILC is no different.
When we opened our doors in 1985, it was with 1 part-time solicitor and a roster of volunteer solicitors. Fast forward 30+ years and our volunteers are still dedicating their time and effort to ensuring the inclusion of those often left behind, assisting people to realise their legal rights and promoting social justice for all.
We couldn’t do the work we do without them.
Who can volunteer with us?
While many of our volunteers are from a legal background, we welcome applications from all fields and levels of experience. In the past we have also had volunteers with training or experience in administration, graphic design, social work and communications.
Our volunteers have ranged from 18 to 92 years old. They have come from all different backgrounds and brought diverse skill sets to our centre.
We value the support of every single one of our volunteers and we are always looking for new volunteers.
How volunteering your time can help you and help us
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, give something back to your community and make a difference to the people around you. For some people, it provides an opportunity to develop new skills or build on existing experience and knowledge.
If you decide to volunteer at ILC you can:
- learn new skills while using your existing skills and knowledge to benefit others,
- meet new people and make a difference in the lives of others,
- learn more about issues affecting some of the most vulnerable people in the Illawarra,
- get a behind-the-scenes look at a Community Legal Centre and Non-Profit organisation, and
- above all you will feel valued and part of the team here at ILC
Whatever your reason you will find it both challenging and rewarding.
By donating your time with us, you’ll be playing an integral role in helping us reach more people and provide more services.
Volunteer assistance supplements and supports the work of paid staff and significantly increases our centre’s capacity and extends areas of expertise as well as increasing access to justice.
Illawarra Legal Centre has a diverse range of volunteer positions. Whether you’re giving your skills, experience or time, volunteering with us is very rewarding.
Volunteer Solicitors and Barristers
Volunteer lawyers usually participate via a roster system on either a Thursday evening or Friday afternoon. They provide initial advice to clients.
Volunteer Legal Assistants
Volunteer Legal Assistants help our solicitors with their files and documents, by:
- answering calls for assistance from clients and booking clients into advice sessions;
- conducting legal research and drafting documents to support clients’ cases;
- assisting in the development of submissions to government about law reform; and
- accompanying clients to court/tribunals, to provide support with the court process.
Centre Volunteer roles can vary, but common tasks are:
- conducting research;
- drafting correspondence; and
- working on community legal education and law reform projects.
Management Committee Members
ILC is managed by a Management Committee comprised of representatives from the legal profession and the local community. Our Management Committee is appointed yearly in October at our AGM.