Free Legal Help for Bushfire Affected Residents

Our thoughts are with communities across Australia during this terrible bushfire season that we are experiencing.  While this is an uncertain time for so many of us, Illawarra Legal Centre (ILC) will continue to offer free legal advice to the members of our community who may have been impacted.

During times like these, serious legal issues can escalate quickly if not addressed.  ILC is one of the many Community Legal Centres across the state that are ready to support the individuals and families that need us.

Communities can face unforeseen legal problems and barriers during and after bushfires.  As well as having to manage any pre-existing legal issues they may have.

How we can help

ILC has already been providing assistance throughout the bushfire season to people navigating tenancy, financial hardship, Centrelink and employment issues. 

The services we offer are:   

General Law

The Illawarra Legal Centre has a team of generalist solicitors who are able to provide free and confidential advice and advocacy in regards to your situation.  We can also arrange interpreters if required.  Some time limits do apply for different matters so it always best to get advice as soon as possible so you can be informed of all your options.

Child Support

The Illawarra Legal Centre has a dedicated child support solicitor who will provide you with advice about your options and assistance in child support and some family law issues.

Financial Counselling

If you are experiencing financial hardship as the result of being forced to re-locate or to leave work etc. The Financial Counselling service is able to assist you in many ways. We will present you with available options and advocate on your behalf, if required, with your creditors to negotiate suitable arrangements during any difficult periods and/or will assist you to implement the option that you have chosen to alleviate your financial stress.

Tenants Service

The Tenants Service provides information and advice to Illawarra and South Coast tenants (private, public and those who permanently reside in a residential park).  Workers may assist tenants appearing before the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Welfare Rights

The Welfare Rights Service is committed to supporting bushfire affected residents by providing information, advice and help in relation to Centrelink problems.  Our solicitors can provide free and confidential advice about crisis payments, payment types and rates, and appeals against Centrelink decisions.

Please call us during business hours on 4276 1939 to schedule an appointment for General Law, Child Support, Financial Counselling Services & Welfare Rights Services.

For Tenants services please call us on 4274 3475 or 1800 807 225 during the following advice times:

  • Monday: 9.00am – 12.00pm
  • Tuesday: 1.00pm – 4.00pm
  • Wednesday: 1.00pm – 4.00pm
  • Friday: 9.00am – 12.00pm


For other legal assistance that is available to people affected by the bushfires across NSW please phone the NSW Disaster Response Hotline on 1800 801 529.